07 July 2009

End of time in NJ and first bit of Yemen

Okay you guys, I'm really tired, so this will be short, but I'm saving all of the really good stuff to finish posting tomorrow when I have time to write on it. So, here below is where I was staying in NJ, adorable, right?
And this is their high school a couple blocks away. Its amazing and behind it is the water and its like a Gothic castle or something.

This is my room in Yemen. The amazing windows at the top of the room are carved and painted wood layered over stained class. Much more impressive in real life.

And, Finally, this is the view from my window. Also more impressive in real life. BUT there is also a really thick screen on the window that kind of muffles the wonderfulness of it all.
I will post much more tomorrow about interesting things I have done and such, but for now I would just like to express how much I like it here. Before I arrived, I was seriously terrified. Unfortunately everything you read in the news/ on the U.S. gov travel website isn't necessarily true. They forget to include how wonderfully kind and hospitable the people are and how especially full of life and friendly the women are here. YES, almost everyone here wears niqab (even most of the girls at the college including myself wear the wear balto--the black floor length robe that zips or buttons up the front) and head scarves, but honestly its nice. I really feel comfortable dressing this way. I was surprised at how independent rather than restrained I felt after the first day wearing it. It is also interesting how differently I know/meet women here. When clothes, hair, breasts, butts, and makeup are no longer a factor you get to know someone so much more fully so quickly. You notice how they speak, what they say, inflection in voice, and many other things with more of an acute attention to detail. There is no immediate distraction from the things (personality, ect) that end up making or breaking a friendship. It is very interesting, and nice.

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hi! Thank you for you post on my blog- I almost NEVER check it anymore... so please give me your e-mail so we can be in touch! jessica.tibbets@gmail.com We have much to talk about! Yemen, Arabic, UT.... thanks for contacting me! Can't wait to meet you in person, I will be in Austin when you get back in August.