18 April 2008

we're writing our past right now.


Yesterday, sigh...  I wonder how the hell I lived this long without a day like that.  It was my 19th birthday yesterday, but that was the least significant part about the day.  I decided to sleep through my one class yesterday to catch up on sleep.  Upon waking up I'm sure I ate, but can't remember where, and then Dustin and I went to Precision Camera to get a lens cap and a UV filter for my newest camera (and to pick up prints and to drop off a million rolls of film).   Then a little studying happened and an RSSC meeting ( I adore Angela and Chris because they understand the things I like because they like them also), where I discovered Orangina-- the best beverage EVER.  Then many friends accompanied me to dinner at Clay Pit, and there is mango cheesecake awaiting me in the refrigerator.  Pre-dinner I had a conversation, via cellular phone, with my parents (whom I love and miss greatly).  I told them about the letter I received from the Arabic Flagship Program, which invited me to study Arabic this summer at the University with the possibility of a Fellowship beginning the second summer semester (if I performed well).  Being offered a Fellowship would mean that the University (or rather, the federal government) would pay for all of my Arabic coursework and study abroad time in Egypt (I would do a summer in between Junior and Senior year and a full year post-senior year coursework but pre-graduation).  This would mean SO MUCH MONEY and the opportunity to study with the best Arabic professors in the country!  SHIT!!
Anyhow, so my parents agreed that I should remain in Austin this summer to take a shot at this, so as of yesterday I am living in Austin this summer.  Whew. I need to find a place to live, and I've never been more excited.  
Later in the evening I had the privilege of seeing Scout Niblett play at Emo's.  This woman is amazing and just solidified the greatness of my day. I can, without hesitation, say this was the best concert experience of my life.  If you have not heard of her you should begin by listening to "Do you want to be buried with my people?"  After the show it was pouring outside and Andrea, Dustin, Steven, and I barreled down an abnormally barren 6th street to try and find the e-bus (which we found).  It was one of those moments where you are so happy to just be running down the street with people you love that you forget that it's freezing and wet or that maybe you should not run with your mouth open.  Upon returning to campus we had a puddle fight.  Gosh, I wish I was better at description.

As Scout says, "It's so fun to see me being me alongside you."

2 comments:

cheshire said...

good.fucking.night.

Dustin said...

<3 aww friend! how nice!