12 September 2010

On Coming Out.


On Coming Out. I never really did it. I just evolved into this person that I am, and I felt like "coming out" was this whole additional burden placed on us "queers" to make it harder to be the people that we are. To make it harder to be honest with ourselves becasue there was this threshold that had to be broken. To make it harder to love the people that we want to love. Plus, it was hard in general, right? I guess it also made it more difficult becasue I wasn't going to "come out" as a lesbian. I refuse to remove myself from one rigid category only to place myself in another. I've dated/fallen in love with/had lovers who identified as male, female, trans...who gives a shit. Whatever happened to the magic of falling in love? I guess I felt I was being the bigger person by not being official about my sexuality (that whole, if I reject the categories then they don't apply to me/exist and/or have power over me). Today, I have found that this is not true for me. All of you who love me need to know that when you go to that stupid poll booth to vote on other peoples rights, which of course you will probably be asked to do sometime in your life, that I am one of those OTHER people. Think of me.
But not only of me, but of all of the others who feel as though they can't speak. This PostSecret postcard just did it for me today. I became angry and cried all over my toast this morning. So, if you didn't know, now you know. I suppose this was more of a service announcement...because I've been me for so long this doesn't really feel like that big of a deal. I suppose if you have questions, feel free to inquire. But, mostly, just remember when you have a say in who gets married and who doesn't and who gets to adopt children and who doesn't... that you now know "one of us."

I feel like Lacey Roop gets it right when she says (plus the Epoch bathroom wall), "Gender is a Universe." Listen to her piece entitled "Gender is a Universe" here: http://www.myspace.com/laceyroop

Love,
C


4 comments:

Lalalalauren said...

Rather than persecuting others for their sexuality, we should all be in awe of the human gift of fluidity. It is beautiful and worthy of celebration and thanksgiving, not hate crimes and prejudice.
You are awesome, lots of loveeeeee!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love.
We can't choose who we love, why we love them, when we love them.
Its often messy and inconvenient and blissfull.
Its always worth it.
It is what it is, and it should never be limited by laws. Jesus. What idiot thought that would be a good idea?
I love love of all kinds! And I love you.

murmur said...

now of course this makes me want to cry all over my toast but in a happy way. no one has to explain or justify any love. well, except madonna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_Y740aReI

much love and respect to you caitlin

cheshire said...

there have been big sad things moving in my life lately that neither one of us would have expected, but i think i have done right by myself. i will talk to you about them in austin if you have time for me to make you tea and dinner. i think it is about the things you talk about too, maybe you will think i'm a selfish idiot or you will see how we are bound. maybe i am crazy. what is new. i'll call you.