22 September 2010

"We had been everywhere. We had really seen nothing."

Today, deep breath out, was eclectic and full. The day started out a bit reflective and somber, a bit of writing, reading, and napping, only to look up from a half-written paper to realize I had just completely missed math class. Although, missing math class was not all that big of a deal. So, the somberness moved in a crescendo that peaked with great sadness and settled in gratitude. As many of you may know, I lost a great love to a horrible bike accident in the last year, and some days my thoughts are just full of him. Anyhow, by the end of the day, I was just so happy to have ever been afforded the opportunity to experience that kind of ocean of feeling, I could do nothing more than smile.

Also, today was a day that ended in reward. My new bike finally came into the Peddler bike shop, and wow, she is fantastic. Steel, great geometry for a person with a longer upper body, sturdy, smooth, fantastic. There she is pictured below, although, I also have a steel frame on the back of her to carry my roll-tops.
So, this evening I went to meet Ashley at Bennu, and got a bit carried away with my new ride and passed one of my turns by nearly 10 blocks. By the time I had gotten home, I had ridden her nearly 20 miles, it was so nice to have a bike whose pieces all actually fit together and work properly together. There is nothing wrong with a skillfully assembled piece meal street bike, but a brand new one...damn. Anyhow, so my goal in taking her out tonight was to find her a name. Usually my bikes are named after male literary characters: Roark, José Arcadio Buendía, Darcy, Yossarian. But, this bike had some cute pink stripes on her and I had this urge for her to be a "her" this time. So, drum roll....she shall be called Lolita.So, the rest of the week looks like: Exam tomorrow, PSC tabling, and plenty of errands, as well as Thesis meetings all Friday, Tubing, potluck, and harvest moon ride Saturday, and garage sale/homework Sunday. Have a good one people.

Love,
C

No comments: