06 August 2010

moving.

Very few of the many fond memories I will have of HoC:











I much prefer the word "moving" to "leaving," because they have significantly different meanings. Leaving implies that there is a negative reason you are moving from your current location, while moving seems to mean that either you are moving for the sake of change or for the sake of something exciting in the distance. Because, there is really hardly anything I dislike about the House of Commons, or any of the beautiful people I met while I lived there, it is time to move forwards. Honestly, I am always moving. When I think about it, the last 4 years I have lived many places: Jester Dorm, Salado House, Duval House, Eden House, Yemen, House of Commons, and now East 51st (i.e. "the love shack"). I hate staying still, and I am excited to experience a new living situation (with four of my favorite people). It will also be a nice environment in which to write my thesis, build/plant a new garden, dance, and cook (for less than 30 people at a time). I must admit, I am excited to have dairy and egg products back in the house. Cheese please.

Now, all I have to do is kick a whole bunch of ass on the GRE in 3 weeks, and all will be well. Not to mention, my last year of school begins on the 25th. Who am I kidding, if I get into grad. school, I'll be in school forever.

Also, I'm missing the Middle East a lot today. Especially, Yemen and Syria. I miss being constantly surprised and amazed, and also never wanting to sleep, but not because there was too much work, but because there was too much living to do, too much to see.


Ahhh, the suq.


Qat trees.

From Maxime's window in Damascus.

Evening coffee, nuts, sweets, and smokes at the garden cafe.

Ya salaam, kan gameel...

No comments: